Monday, June 18, 2012

I love VBS...and so much more!

The past several weeks have been the preparation and culmination of this week. Today was the first day of our VBS. Working in Children's Ministry means you kiss your summer and family goodbye for a week at a time, based on how many camps and events you have planned for that summer. It is long hours and a harried pace. It is definitely not for the weak at heart. BUT, and a huge BUT,...it is FUN! To see all of these kids and volunteers scurrying across the church and having a blast learning the Good News warms my heart and feeds my soul.

Are you now asking yourself, "What's the Good News?" That's an easy answer...the Good News is that God sent His son, Jesus Christ, to die for our sins so that we can one day join them both in Heaven. God does not pick and choose, this gift is for all humans... men, women, children, old, young, healthy, sick, abused, rich, poor...every single one of us. See, that is absolutely AWESOME news!!

Now back on track...VBS is amazing and crazy and I think I have a constant look of stressed out to the max with a smile thrown in every once in awhile. I really try to not so stressed around everyone else, but catch me at the copy machine or at my desk and I may look pretty worn. The first day is a whirlwind of running around making sure kids are where they need to be, tending to all of the volunteers' needs and making sure they are good, as well as ensuring parents that their children will be okay for the next three hours. I made coffee in my office at 7:30 this morning and finally got my first cup (while at work...coffee was had at home) some time after 10am. The afternoon was spent preparing for tomorrow.



You may ask yourself why do you do this? It seems nuts. It is because God called me to this. He called me to the church I am at now and to the school I am attending. One day soon I will graduate, but for now I am learning and growing so much. Children's Ministry is where I belong and have never felt more at home in a job. Really, it is more than a job. It is a lifestyle. I live to serve my God. Through Him, I serve the families and children come into my life either through church, camps, community events and mission trips. It is where me and my family belong. We are the children of God serving His family.

Today was crazy sock day...I was sporting these beauties!


No comments:

Post a Comment